Thursday 12 April 2012

Who Would Have Thought it? Risperdal is Unsafe...

The title of this post is, of course, meant without a trace of irony... The side effects of psychiatric drugs are terrible, and everybody knows it.  So well done, American Judge, for striking a blow for justice - perhaps now psychiatric patients will be better informed of the risks and won't be put on these drugs and kept on them for ever.  We can hope.

This news made me shudder actually - Risperdal, aka Risperidone, was the drug I was recommended to take while I was pregnant with my second daughter.  I was told it was perfectly safe in pregnancy, but said I preferred not to risk taking any drugs while I was pregnant - although I did obediently start on the Risperidone after my daughter was born.  I was not ill at all, but apparently taking medication after childbirth was a sensible precaution, for 'prophylactic reasons'.  Ha!  It made me feel unwell (funny, that) so I soon stopped. 

I am so lucky though - I did take thse drugs for several years in my mid-twenties, but did not end up dependent, and hopefully will have a long and healthy life.  So many don't, and I feel it is so unfair.  I feel so sorry for the people I see who have lost their lives to the psychiatric system.  It is so sad to witness people who are so demoralised, so hopeless about their own prospects.

Anyway, here's the link to the news story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17677657

5 comments:

  1. I just got off the phone with a doctor who saw my patient ONE TIME, for about 20 minutes, when she was 3 months into her pregnancy.

    She had no symptoms at the time, but a past diagnosis (in the chart) of "mood disorder with psychosis NOS." He started her on Latuda. On the telephone, I asked him why. He said "Latuda is pregnancy category B and she has psychosis."

    She never took it. (BTW, she's never had psychosis either.) She's now 8 months into her pregnancy and doing very well on no meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Risperidone is pure poison: my son was on it only for eight weeks. He developed full blown Parkinson's, couldn't get up the stairs, his eyes and legs twitched, he couldn't swallow and he felt permanently that he was going to faint and yet the doctors assured me when they discharged him from hospital that it was the best medication for him as well as the right dose. I couldn't believe my ears. He managed to come off it behind doctors' backs. Olanzapine was even worse: He developed NMS and it nearly killed him because nobody bothered to check on him

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew. Heavy stuff! Anon, I do hope your son continues to get better. And I hope your patient enjoys her baby, Steve. The start of a new life - always so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't mean to sound flippant, BTW. I am starting to wonder whether all these drugs are 'pure poison' - it is a worrying thought.

    ReplyDelete