Tuesday 6 November 2012

Residency at Newcastle University

Whisper it... I may be getting a writer in residence post at Newcastle Uni!  I have been buzzing with ideas, and have been busy this evening running them by various people to see if they hold water. 

I am well aware that I shouldn't count my chickens before they are hatched - and that a public announcement that something may happen is hardly advisable - but, be away with you, superstition!  What will be, will be (or que sera, sera, as I sing to my beautiful little boys at their bedtime). 

I have been singing them the same four bedtime songs for years.  Que sera (or, as they call it, 'The Little Girl Song' is their favourite.  One evening, the littlest one (who was not quite four at the time) superimposed his own lyrics.  I only know one verse, 'Will I be famous, will I be rich?' but he changed the words and sang, 'Will I be pretty, will I be silly?'  Honestly.  The child is supernaturally bright - the other day he wanted me to play with him, and when I replied that I was busy tidying, he said, 'A tidy house brings a tidy mind, that's what I say!'

I was staggered - it is not something I say, and although I know he must have seen it on TV or heard someone else say it, I still think it demonstrates pretty impressive powers of retention. 

(Incidentally, I just found the YouTube clip for the song - very sweet: (although spoiled by the distasteful comment underneath) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbKHDPPrrc )

Anyway, I will have to work pretty hard to keep up.  I was looking at the notes for my psychology course the other night, and realised that I need to put in a major amount of work if I am to get through the exam with a decent grade.  So that is going to be my main task over the next couple of weeks - printing up all the powerpoints, writing up my own notes (just useless scribbles at present) making sure I understand and can recall the material.  Exam in January!

Going to listen to Radio 4 'All in the Mind' now.  Great programme.  Tonight the subject (or one of them) is CBT and psychosis.  Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxx9

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Louise,

    Your child truly is supernaturally bright. 'A tidy house brings a tidy mind' ~ love it!

    I haven't forgotten the review on your book that I promised you. This is how I typically write things that are important to me: I let it simmer in my subconscious for a few days, and then when it's ready it boils over and out onto the page... or computer, as the case may be.

    I'm going to buy a paperback copy of your book as well. I enjoyed reading it on my Kindle, but there's something special about holding a book in your hand, when it is a special book.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. What we need here is a "Like" button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Rachel, he is smart and sweet - he must have heard that somewhere though, it's quite a common saying. And don't worry, no rush with the review. I write better when I mull stuff over first, too.

    And thanks, Rossa, you're right - a 'Like' button would save a lot of time!

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please look at my side http://schizofreniamojegosyna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Clara, I'll have a look (with the help of Google Translate!) soon.

    ReplyDelete