Friday 27 February 2015

New Eyes

Well, it's now almost 24 hours since my laser eye surgery. 

How do I feel?  I feel like the Bionic Woman.

I mean, none of it was fun.  The clinic was running about two hours late, so Paul and I sat around waiting for most of the day in a room full of other nervous people.  (Paul wasn't having the procedure, he was there to support me).  Luckily I had brought sandwiches with us because I always like to be sure of where my next meal is coming from.

We had arrived at the clinic just before eleven and I finally got called into surgery at about two o'clock.  I panicked halfway through the op and nearly didn't let them do my second eye.  Thank goodness I managed to psyche my way through it, because I didn't realise at that point that they hadn't even lasered my left eye, only cut the flap in preparation.  So I would have been left worse than when I had come in.  Anyway, I did it, and by about quarter to three it was all over and we were on our way home.  (The actual procedure took less than a minute on each eye).

It's a long story.  My eyes have not settled down totally and the glare from the computer is not entirely comfortable, so I am not going to write about all of it now.  But suffice it to say that I am really pleased I had it done.  It is going to change my life - it has already - in the biggest and best way.  Hurrah!

But there is a reason why they ask prospective patients whether they suffer from, or have ever suffered from, anxiety and tell you that you are not a suitable candidate for laser eye surgery if you do.  (I lied).  Having a panic attack in the middle of eye laser surgery was probably one of the worst things I have experienced (although not the worst, and it was worth it).  I would really not recommend having the surgery done if you are of a nervous disposition.  Or, if you decide to push ahead like I did, get a Valium from the doctor to take on the morning of the procedure.  Yes, it is me saying that, and yes, I am totally anti-medication (anti unnecessary medication, that is).

I am going to write more about this in a few days, probably in the Huffington Post, and I'll link to it here.  I am definitely going to become a laser eye bore (in fact I might have become one already).  It is all just so mind-boggling and enormous and amazing that it's hard to stay quiet about it. 

I am not out of the woods yet.  I guess part of my current elation is just due to relief that nothing awful happened during or just after the surgery.  I had a check up today and everything is going very smoothly but I will have to keep putting drops in my eyes and sleep with shields on them for another six days. 

For the first time since I remember, I can see clearly, naturally.  I don't think I realised how much my poor eyesight bothered me.  I had got used to contact lenses and glasses and I knew I was lucky to be able to see at all.  But now that my vision is - I have to say it - almost perfect - I feel fantastic!   

2 comments:

  1. Just a question- what will happen in 10 years time when a lot of people need reading glasses, will you need some? I am short-sighted and 74. and I feel that short-sightedness has a lot of advantages in old age. I can read, write, thread a needle etc. without glasses and I am not constantly running around looking for them like my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Yes, I will need reading glasses. In fact, the surgeon told me I would need them straight after the surgery, but I don't yet. I will in a few years, I am sure. That's fine though. Reading glasses are normal. What I didn't want was bifocals, because as far as I can tell they are very awkward to wear. The optician told me I could wear reading glasses over my contact lenses, but that just seemed silly (and I have already worn lenses for longer than is really advisable for the health of my eyes). So, after considering all the options, surgery seemed the best bet. So far, I am pleased with the results, although my sight is still settling and my brain is adjusting to the new vision which means that yesterday I had some dizziness and nausea. Am fine this morning though! But you're right, surgery is not for everyone and the long-term implications must be carefully considered.

    ReplyDelete